Saturday, February 21, 2015

Fried Green Tomatoes and Lulu's




About a year ago, Jason and I went down to the Gulf for Mardi Gras. One of the places we ate at was LuLu's in Gulfport, Alabama. Now admittedly, I am a parakeet who grew up to be a parrothead and LuLu is the sister of Jimmy Buffett so this may make me a little biased. We also have one of her cook books, "Crazy Sista Cooking", so I was excited to finally eat at her restaurant.

 
 

Jason and I had the fried green tomatoes for an appetizer, bowls of gumbo and split a piece of key lime pie for dessert. The dinning area was open air, prompt service and all the food was fresh and tasty. I've had great gumbo and key lime pie before. What really got my attention was the fried green tomatoes. Neither of us had ever had them - I'd only seen them in the movie by the same name. Sitting here, I'm not sure how to describe the flavor. It's like a sweetness with a jump and a skip in it. LuLu's makes a "WOW" sauce to dip the tomatoes in which sets off the flavor perfectly.



 
 
 
Since our visit to LuLu's, I've made fried green tomatoes three time. The last time being the best in my opinion. I was able to look at the recipe in her cookbook which was not surprisingly more detailed than what I had previously found online while we were in Washington. We had our fried green tomatoes with empanadas. Probably not a traditional pairing but they tasted good together.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment