Sunday, February 8, 2015

McDonald's Review



Here is a review that I wanted to take some time to think about.  Because, when the subject in question is the fast food chain known as Mcdonald's, well, everyone has an opinion.  After all, a whole lot of people worldwide have eaten there.  It is the largest fast food hamburger chain in the world.  I have eaten there multiple times throughout my life.  Much of why I have eaten there, in recent years, has been that the food is cheap, fast, consistent and convenient.  Although the food lacks luster, nearly 70 million people worldwide eat there each day.  I intend to look at why so many people frequent this fast food chain.

                Now, the original McDonald's was established in San Bernardino, California on U.S. Highway Route 66 in 1940.  This was the main route between Chicago and Los Angeles before the interstate highways were established.  The idea for a quick roadside hamburger restaurant was not the original plan, because McDonald’s started out as a barbecue restaurant.  Success came when the products were made for travelers of the great American road.  The era of the automobile is really what got McDonald's going and their philosophy really hasn't changed.  McDonald's is cheap easy food for people on the go. 

                Really, when I think of McDonald's, it is mostly a stop along the highway or it’s lunch time and I wasn't really thinking about it, but there are the golden arches ahead, so I'll grab something quick.  After all, McDonald's isn't any good, or is it?  Their staples haven't changed in years, so they have carved out their own niche.  The cheeseburgers, Big Macs, and fries have all been the same for as long as I can remember and that is some 37 plus years since my first cheeseburger and fries at this establishment.  I loved them as a kid and I'm sure that many others did also.  So, when I bite into a McDonald’s cheeseburger it is part nostalgia of a place where food was fun with bright colours and fun characters.  Yet, even in my earliest memories, the food was nothing special.  The makeup for each product was, and is, still simple. The cheeseburger is a plain bun with a meat patty, cheese and some onion, ketchup and pickle.  The Big Mac even has a jingle about its contents.  The thing is, there are plenty of other fast food places out there.  So, I have to ask myself, why do I continue to frequent this establishment when there are so many others.  Well, let’s look at what else out there.

                The fact is established that McDonald's found its niche for people on the go and these are the occasions when I stop there as do many others.  There is however a long list of other options.  There are Subway, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Taco Bell, Burger King, and Wendy's.  As well as other smaller burger chain such as In-n-Out Burger, Carl’s Jr./Hardees, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, White Castle, Jack in the Box, Whataburger, Blake's Lotaburger, Shake Shack, and my local northwest favorite, Dick's Drive-in.  Of course, I have left out quite a few others, but I feel I have a fairly good grab sample here.  Now Subway, KFC, and Taco Bell are obviously not burger joints.  So although they compete for the fast food market, they appeal to different tastes.  Additionally, Subway is not quite as fast and a little more expensive.  KFC is messier and more expensive.  Taco Bell is cheaper, but manages to feel even that much lower in quality that all the rest.  Then you have Burger King which is a direct competitor along with Wendy's.  In my experience, the reason that I would choose McD's over BK is consistency.  From restaurant to restaurant I don't know what quality of product I will get from a Burger King, but at McDonald's it is always the same.  With Wendy's, there is the same problem as well as higher prices and fewer locations.  This is where the smaller chains miss out.  I would love to try White Castle or Shake Shack, but they are on the east coast and Whataburger is throughout the South and into Arizona.  I love Five Guys, but I haven't seen many and they simply cost more than McD's.  Given the choice, I'd eat In-n-Out over McD's anytime, but they are only found in the southwest and mostly in California.  Blake's is only in New Mexico and if you want to eat at Dick's Drive-In you’re only going to find them in Seattle.  The truth of it is that McDonald's, of all these restaurants, with the exception of In-n-Out and Taco Bell, is the only place you can go and be in and out in less time that it took to find the change on the floor boards of your car to pay for your meal.  Let’s face it if you’re choosing Taco Bell you didn't really save time because you’re camping out in the restroom later.  The fact is that McDonald's is usually convenient to find with fast service at a cheap price for when you need to keep moving.

                Now, for those who have not been to the United States there are a few things to be said.  One, McDonald's is an authentic experience of United States cuisine, but it should not be assumed that this is what 'Americans' eat all the time.  Two, McDonald's hamburgers are not a good example of what a good hamburger should be.  There are many burger joints throughout the country.  Some are much better and some are much worse.  Three, just enjoy McDonald's for what it is, a work of true Americana born on U.S. Highway 66.  Hate it or love it, it is a product born out of the age of the automobile.

                Well, speaking for myself, McDonald's will most likely be an establishment that I frequent in the future.  I'm not saying that they are the best burgers in the world or that they even rank in that category.  McDonald's meets a need for our time restrained modern lifestyle, which it also promotes and perpetuates.  McDonald's is not alone for all fast food establishments are filling that same need.  Regardless of the business, if you have a problem with the food, blame the culture, and make a difference starting with you.  If you like your McDonald's, then live it up, for you were born to the right age.  As for me, I have to praise McDonald's business model, the service they provide, and the quality products they make. While, at the same time, saying that I aspire to a lifestyle, a culture and a time when we will no longer need their current products and services.
Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment