Friday, February 13, 2015

The Ghost of Valentine’s Day Past



 

                Once upon a time…  Actually it was last Valentine’s Day in 2014, I was looking to take Sara out to Eureka Springs Arkansas for a day visit and evening of dining at the Crescent Hotel and the 1886 Steakhouse.  The Crescent is a notable Victorian style hotel that was built in 1886.  It has a storied history and is proclaimed the most haunted hotel in America.  I have to say the hotel is cool for its history, location and scenery.  It is a little run down, but I am not writing about hotels amenities and services other than the food service.  I cannot speak for the hauntings at the Crescent, but I can say that the true horror was the special Valentine’s Day dinner service.

                So it’s Valentine’s Day and you want to take your significant other out for a nice evening.  Maybe we could go out on the town, dancing, or a show.  You could go out for an evening stroll, the ballet, or music performance.  There is of course fine dining which was the idea I had in mind after a nice day touring of Eureka Springs.  However, the Crescent Hotel’s idea of a romantic evening was far off from anything on my list of Valentine’s evenings that I had in mind.  And the great idea was… drum roll please… a buffet.  Who would think of this as a good idea?  I was really looking forward to gazing into the eyes of my lover… through the sneeze guard.  Then there is the conversation of how sexy she is… holding those salad tongs.  Then there is the protocol of how many times you get up to get more, after all, is this an anything goes Viking smorgasbord?  Well in this situation I had the easy answer, none.

                There was no going back.  The food was flat bad.  The Chicken Eureka was lukewarm.  The prime rib was over cooked.  The shrimp were old and mushy.  The scallops were cold and not fresh.  The pork loin was dry.  The salad looked like it came out of a bag.  None of the desserts were noteworthy.  Then they had the audacity to charge $150 per couple for the evening.  It was horrible.  I could have had better at an Old Country Buffet or Golden Corral.  Quite a few other couples left, and I felt the idiot for not following suit.  There is nothing that could redeem that evening or any idea I had of respect for the Crescent Hotel.

                My recommendation is don’t go there.  They are a side show attraction telling ghost stories.  There are other things that could be done in town.  As for my evening, it wasn’t all a loss for I still went home with the love of my life.  Now, we get to have fun together reflecting and writing reviews about the places we have been.  Plus, a year after the fact, I had fun writing this and just ripping this place for the service they provided.  May it haunt them a little in the future.
Jason
 
I thought I should include my TripAdvisor.com review along with Jason's. I attempted to call the 1886 Steakhouse today. I just wanted to find out if they were having a buffet again this year or if history was going to repeat. I called three times and was unable to get anyone to answer the phone. I did get to instant chat online with a nice girl at the hotel, but she didn't know what the restaurant was serving. She wrote:
"Katie Says:
    Okay my information says they'll be having their grand reopening from 5-10 pm. There will also be live music from Swing and a Miss. "
 
So, my curiosity will have to go unsatisfied for now.  What follows is my review posted on TripAdvisior.com on February 17, 2014 for the 1886 Steakhouse. Sara
 
“How is a buffet romantic?”
 
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014
My fiance and I drove 2.5 hours to Eureka Springs specifically for a romantic valentine's day dinner at the Crescent Hotel and to check it out as a possible wedding/reception location. When we arrived we were promptly seated and two glasses of champagne appeared in moments (although I don't drink). No one arrived with menus. After a few minutes someone told us we could start on the buffet whenever we wanted. Somewhat bewildered, we stayed and ate. Of the food I consumed - the lettuce was dry/wilted, oyster shooter - couldn't taste the oyster over the sauce, prime rib was over cooked and I was given a tiny portion, zucchini mix was okay. Worst part was actually the shrimp. We aren't that far from the Gulf, and the shrimp tasted old. Thin white chocolate tinted pink fondue and red velvet cake that was flavorless. The chocolate cheesecake was alright but not good.

At the end of the meal, I was shocked that they were charging $140.86 after tax. The food wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't worth that much. From a female perspective, I wasn't wearing the kind of shoes to make walking across a dining room 4 times enjoyable. Having to serve ourselves also broke any romantic mood. I feel like we were taken advantage of. If we had been informed it was a buffet when making reservations, we never would have gone there. Perhaps I was wrong to think there would be a menu at a restaurant? I saw several groups near us who were also surprised by the buffet. Some walked out. To conclude, I won't eat here again and definitely wouldn't have my wedding or reception here. I also have changed my mind about recommending the hotel as a place for our guests to stay at. If they take this level of care with what should be a special evening, what is it like the rest of the time?
 
Jason and Me before dinner on Valentine's Day 2014
 
 
In the 1886 Steakhouse Valentine's Day 2014

 
 

 
 
 
If anyone wonders - we're cooking dinner at home this year.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment